Crisscrossed Life has moved. You can now find us at www.crisscrossedlife.com.
Please come check us out there!
I recently guest posted over at Creative Chaos Consultant about the Put Up or Shut Up Challenge. Here’s my post about it (and the others are here), but in a nutshell, Victorio Milian asked HR pros what we were going to do to be a HR Rock Star in 2010.
As I was writing the post, I started thinking about some of the other things crisscrossing through my world right now. There’s a lot going on and it’s an exciting time for me. I’m learning and being challenged daily and I love it!
So what’s going on? Good question. Glad you asked!
Outside of my HR responsibilities at the really cool ad agency I work for, here’s what’s been going on with me:
- Louisville SHRM Board – As I mentioned in my Put Up or Shut Up post, I recently accepted a board position with our local SHRM chapter as the Communications and Technology Chair. Part of my responsibility this year will be to get the chapter moving into the social media arena. I also want to tackle our website; get in behind the scenes and get a better understanding of the back-end side of the site. I’d like to work on making it more interactive, more user-friendly.
- HRevolution 2010 – I had such a good time on the planning committee for the first HRevolution, I signed up for more! I am very excited about this year’s event but I can’t let the secrets out of the bag just yet. Stay tuned!
- Personnel Committee – yes, that’s correct. My church is still calling it a Personnel Committee and I am now a member of said committee. My first task? Change the name. Second task? Putting some processes in place for recruiting and other HR-related issues. We’re busy recruiting now for a couple of positions, so I had to hit the ground running!
- Couples Ministry – My husband and I have started a Couples Ministry at church. We’ve been planning this ministry for almost a year and it’s all coming together. We started our marketing campaign in January and had our kick-off session this past Friday. 24 couples attended the kick-off and we had a great time! We already have our second session planned and are working on the rest of the year. We’re really excited about this ministry and are looking forward to growing together as a couple, and encouraging other couples to do the same.
- 50th Wedding Anniversary – Speaking of couples, my parents will be celebrating 50 years of marriage this year!! My siblings and I are busy planning a big to-do to celebrate this milestone. With one out of every two marriages ending in divorce, 50 years is definitely something to celebrate!
So that’s some of what’s crisscrossing through my life right now. How about you? What’s going on in your world?
Michael VanDervort from the Human Race Horses blog, is doing another special HR Carnival. This time it’s to showcase local support for Haiti.
A group called Edge Outreach,an international faith-based group, with headquarters in Louisville, is busy providing water for the children and families effected by this crisis. The Edge Outreach water team recently installed three water systems in the area – one at a Salvation Army site filled with homeless survivors, another serving a clinic that is seeing more than 200 injured or sick patients daily and a third at a Haitian Community Hospital.
Other local entities have also aided in this relief effort. The Louisville Water Company, the Metropolitan Sewer District and our city government donated a total of $25000. And members of one local church, Southeast Christian, have donated over $80000.
Edge is providing a wonderful service. Donations are still being accepted and every little bit counts and goes a long way to helping Edge provide clean water to the survivors.
If you’re interested in donating, you can do so directly on their site.
I feel like I’ve been waiting for January 1, 2010 for some time now. While a lot of great things happened in 2009, there were definitely a few things that I’m looking forward to leaving behind. I’ve always been excited about a new year starting and all of the great things I’d like to try to tackle. But this new year, 2010, I am so ready for it like never before.
Challenges and all, I’m very thankful for 2009. I met some new friends, reconnected with old ones, stepped outside of my comfort zone a few times, and believe it or not, said ‘no’ more often.
For 2010, there are a couple of things I’m excited about. The first is the opportunity to connect more, both personally and professionally. I will take my online relationships offline, and work to spend more one-on-one time with my friends and family.
The second is an adventure that my husband and I are taking on….a marriage ministry. We’re really excited about it and looking forward to learning, sharing and growing together and with the other couples in the ministry.
Exciting times for 2010. I’m looking forward to a terrific year. How about you?
Happy New Year!!
As we close out this Thanksgiving weekend, I wanted to take the opportunity to share my ‘thankful’ list.
- I am thankful for a wonderful husband who loves me unconditionally, prays with and for me, makes me laugh, and who I’m looking forward to spending the rest of my life with.
- I am thankful for my two beautiful children. It is such a blessing to have my little ones in my life, watching them learn and grow and seeing things through their young eyes. They keep me on my toes and I love every minute of it!
- I am thankful for sweet, beautiful girlfriends who love and support me, laugh with me, cry with me, tell me when I’m right and when I’m wrong and are right there whenever I need them.
- I am thankful for my family. My husband and I have a great combined family and we can always count on lots and lots of laughter when we all get together.
- I am thankful for the struggles opportunities for growth that I’ve had during my life. I am the person I am today, in part, due to the trials and tribulations I’ve dealt with and I’m grateful that I can now look back on most of these and see the lessons in each one of them. And I am thankful for the opportunities I’ve had to share these lessons with others who are going through similar issues.
- I am thankful to my mother for showing me what having faith in God means and for giving me the tools and opportunities to develop and grow in my own faith.
I am thankful. Truly thankful.
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!
As you know from my last few posts, I recently participated in a un-conference for HR professionals – HRevolution. I posted my recap about the event here but I was just one of approximately 50 folks who attended the event and many of these folks also blogged about their experiences and take-aways.
And now, all of these terrific blog posts are in one location for your reading pleasure. Trish McFarlane is hosting the HR Carnival’s HRevolution edition over on her blog, HR Ringleader and it’s a great collection of fun stories about the attendees, the un-conference style, turning tweeps to peeps, and the future of HR. It was a great event and Trish did a wonderful job of pulling all of the stories together.
So head on over to the carnival today and spend a little time reading about HRevolution. Oh, and bring me back some popcorn!